Counselors might work in schools, clinics or in private settings, and they might specialize in specific fields such as student, family or addiction counseling. But they all look to use resources in their studies and in practice. The following 40 best online libraries for counselors can provide those resources, with free downloads of journal articles and books or tools to help build a counseling library of your choosing.
- Addiction Research Library: Hazeldon enables professionals, researchers and others needing addictions and substance abuse information to search its own unique online catalog of over 15,000 titles.
- Alcohol and Alcohol Problems Science Database: The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) has created this portal to support researchers and practitioners searching for information related to alcohol research.
- CSPV Violence Literature Database: VioLit is a violence-related research literature database with abstracts and reference information, offered by the Center for the Study and Prevention of Violence.
- Drug and Alcohol Library: This part of the University of Stirling Library was originally intended for on-line students, but was made generally available in 2001. This resource specializes in full-text documents, most of which are available for download.
- SAMHSA: The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration offers an entire site that serves as a resource for readers.
- Social Work Online Library: List of articles relating to practicing social work with the Lakota and other indigenous peoples.
- The Unabridged Student Counseling Virtual Pamphlet Collection: This collection is offered by the University of Chicago.
- Trauma and the Brain: This America Public Media resource focuses on topics such as Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome and much more in their archives.
- All About Counseling: This site serves as a rich source of information and discussion on issues that affect people’s lives and the lives of those around them.
- BMJ Resources for Readers: You can register for an alerts service for articles, or you can register as you select a service from an article.
- Classics in the History of Psychology: Christopher D. Green at York University in Canada developed this electronic resource. Search by author or by topic.
- Complete Counseling Solutions: This site contains dozens of articles, organized them into categories to make browsing them easier.
- Counseling Resource: More for the consumer, this site helps readers compare types of counseling and psychotherapy, take self-tests and quizzes, identify symptoms, look up medications, or learn about secure online therapy.
- Counseling Today Online: Members can download entire versions of CT Online, but other research resources also are available here.
- CROW: Counseling Resources on the Web is a database offered by Massey University.
- Encyclopedia of Psychology: Enjoy a compiled resource of topics online, including research techniques and reference materials.
- Morning Light Counseling Resource Library: This online mental health resource library, created by Carrie Maxwell Wrigley, LCSW, contains information designed to help you help you find effective, practical solutions to problems such as depression, anxiety, and marital conflict.
- The Whole Brain Atlas: Keith A. Johnson, M.D. and J. Alex Becker, Ph.D. created this resource that focuses on comparisons between “normal” brain and cerebrovascular disease, neoplastic disease, degenerative disease and inflammatory or infectious disease.
- ACA-ACES Syllabus Clearinghouse: This site is a joint project of the American Counseling Association (ACA) and the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES). Members and nonmembers can post syllabi, but only members can view them.
- APA PsycNET: The American Psychological Association offers a way to search or browse for counseling materials. Payment is required for many products.
- APTI: The Association for Psychological Type International is the international membership organization for professional users of personality type and assessments such as Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) Tool.
- BUROS Center for Testing: The Buros Institute of Mental Measurements has worked for more than 70 years to serve the public interest and advance the field of measurement.
- CLIO Beta: Columbia University Libraries offers an online search for academic articles as bibliography for further research.
- Counseling Library Resources: This Boise State University resource is a guide to library research in counseling and related fields.
- Free Resources for Program Evaluation and Social Research Methods: This page lists free resources for program evaluation and social research methods.
- The Data and Story Library: DASL is an online library of datafiles and stories that illustrate the use of basic statistics methods.
- Google Books: This link leads to over one million results at this resource. Some books are fully available, others have excerpts.
- Highware: HighWire Press at Stanford University develops and maintains the Web versions of important journals in biomedicine and other disciplines.
- Internet Archive: This link leads to counseling resources, but you also can search for information in specific topics.
- ipl2: This resource library is hosted by The iSchool at Drexel, College of Information Science and Technology, with major support from the College of Information at Florida State University.
- Johns Hopkins University Sheridan Libraries: Search for articles, book chapters and other research documents offered by this institution.
- Online Christian Library: This is a Christian online referral service library project about Christian counseling offered by Northwestern Theological Seminary and Northwestern Christian University.
- Open Library: This link leads to free books to read about the counseling profession.
- Project Gutenberg: This link leads to the counseling section of this site, offering 12 different resources for counselors.
- Psychology & Counseling: This link leads to e-books for online viewing or for download…all for free.
- Psychology & Psychiatry: Digital Book Index offers a venue with various books offered at this site and others.
- Questia: Questia offers books, articles, journals and more, all the topic of counseling at this link.
- The Free Library: This link leads to the counseling topic, and includes 105 articles on a variety of counseling issues.
- The Online Books Page: This link leads to counseling topics witin this free online library.
- Wiley Online Library: Search by topic to find journal articles about counseling issues.