The Most Important Thing You Need to Do as a Counselor

Protect yourself! Before you enter your first practicum or internship, make sure you have ample liability insurance. Yes, even though you are still a student you will need it.

One recommended source of student liability insurance is the ACA (American Counseling Association).

ACA student membership now includes liability insurance when the student is enrolled and engaged in a master’s degree counseling curriculum at a post secondary institution. Coverage is available to ACA student members solely while performing counseling services (e.g., practicum and internship) related to such curriculum. Features of the student insurance program include:

• Every covered student is protected up to $1,000,000 per claim and up to $6,000,000 in the aggregate.
• Any time a claim is filed alleging mishandling of counseling, assistance is provided with the policy.
• Legal defense and investigative costs are covered.

Visit the ACA Insurance Trust Website… Click on the Students link on the left side of the home page.

Yours in the Joy of Knowledge,

Barb LoFrisco


Dr. Barbara LoFrisco is a licensed mental health counselor, licensed marriage and family therapist and certified sex therapist in private practice in Tampa, FL. Her doctorate is in Counselor Education and Supervision from the University of South Florida, where she also is an Visiting Instructor. She is passionate about educating and nurturing counseling students and new counselors. At Masters In, Barbara writes about counseling education as well as career and study advice. The blog aims to serve both counseling students and early career counselors.