Counseling is a vast field that encompasses many facets. It applies to work in diverse community settings where the goal is to counsel, rehabilitate and offer support. As a counselor, you work with patients in order to treat emotional and mental health issues that are causing problems in school, personal relationships, work and in everyday life. You may choose to work in a school, work as a personal growth or relationship counselor, work in substance abuse or other addictions, or possibly in rehabilitation and grief. Regardless of your specialty, counselors all share the similar goal of promoting good mental health to their patients. The following list of top 50 counseling blogs offers a look into many of these areas of counseling to give you a better idea and understanding about the field and various professions. These sites also offer help and support for those who seek counseling advice.
Personal Growth and Relationship Counseling
- Atlanta Counseling and Therapy Services: Bill Herring, LCSW, a counselor in the Atlanta area, offers thoughts and essays on various aspects of personal growth.
- Change Therapy: This blog is offered by a psychotherapist who has worked in mental health, counseling, psychotherapy and movement therapy for 15 years.
- Counselling Resource Blog: Looking at life through the prism of psychology, philosophy, mental health and more by various contributors. This is one of the web’s most visited sites dedicated specifically to counseling and psychotherapy.
- Dr. Romance Blog: With a Ph.D., eight books and 30 years counseling experience under her belt, Tina has a lot to say about life and love.
- Lessons For A Happy Marriage: A divorced man becomes a divorce mediator to help couples rebuild a broken marriage or to part amicably.
- Manage your Emotions: Find ways to manage emotions, such as anger and anxiety. Learn about therapy and ways to better your relationships.
- Mental Help Blog: The Mental Help Net website exists to promote mental health and wellness education and advocacy. The blogs approach a wide variety of counseling issues.
- Phoenix Men’s Counseling: Jason Fierstein, MA, LPC focuses on counseling, specifically for men and their relationships in this blog and in his career.
- Positivity Works! This is a professional blog associated with Fields Family Counseling Services that focuses on staying positive.
- The Marriage Counseling Blog: Discussions on marriage, family and counseling, conducted by Sig Yanosway.
- Two Chairs Counseling: This UK blog provides thought-provoking ideas for people who are ready to change their lives.
- About Alcoholism: Follow this blog, created by a recovering alcoholic, to learn more about the disease, its diagnosis and treatment.
- Arizona Addiction Rehab &a Co-Occurring Disorders Blog: Cottonwood de Tucson provides a blog that tackles a wide variety of substance abuse issues.
- Brandywine Counseling Blog: Brandywine Counseling helps people recover from addiction and mental illness and reduces their HIV risk.
- Eating Disorders Blogs: Karen R. Koenig, LCSW, M.Ed., an expert in the psychology of eating, has nearly 30 years of experience helping chronic dieters and compulsive/emotional/restrictive eaters learn how to eat “normal”.
- Sex Addition Blog: Straight talk, up-to-date information and resources for individuals and couples regarding sexual addiction, cybersex addiction, sexual anorexia, sexual desire and sexual dysfunction.
- GCASA Cares: GCASA represents the Genesee/Orleans Council on Alcoholism and Substance Abuse, Inc. whose administrative offices are located in Batavia, NY.
- Net Addiction: It’s a fine line to walk and talk about net addiction on the Internet, but this blog does a great job of passing on news, statistics and information about this debatable subject.
- Scottsdale Intervention and Counseling Blog: Learn about intervention and a wide variety of addiction disorders from this professional blog.
- Stop Eating Disorders Blog: If you suffer from an eating disorder or know someone struggling with an eating disorder, you may find support and help here.
- Admitted: This is the official blog of the National Association for College Admission Counseling.
- College Counseling Culture: Observations about college admission and its intersections with American culture.
- DVC International Counseling Blog: This blog has been active for a long time, and serves as a model for reaching out to students.
- Education Policy Blog: Learn more about the ways that educational foundations can inform educational policy and practice.
- i-Student Adviser Blog: Based in the UK, this blog serves as an interactive international education guide for students and for counselors.
- Kaarme High School Counselor Week Blog: This link leads to the section for education counselors, part of a total concept aligned with communication between students and educational staff and faculties.
- Minding the Campus: This blog is part of a project devoted to a revival of intellectual pluralism and the best traditions of liberal education.
- Rethink Learning Now: According to this site, “Public education does not serve a public, it creates a public. The question is, ‘What kind of public does it create?”
- School Counselor Blog: This blog provides a place where school counselors can share creative lesson plans, innovative ideas, and quality resources.
- School Law and Reform: An advocate for public schools offers her take on law and education.
- Student Branding Blog: This blog, with the support of experienced college career counselors and recent graduates, can help students capitalize on their own unique abilities.
- The College Puzzle: Dr. Kirst presents this Stanford university college success blog, offering advice for any college students.
- About Senior Living: Sharon O’Brien, MA, LPC, is a licensed professional counselor with a private practice in Portland, Oregon. She helps people cope with changes that come with age in this blog.
- Caregiving 101 Blog: This blog is part of a larger site managed by caregivers Bob & Starr Calo–oy, who owned and operated a personal care home, specializing in the care of terminally ill patients and people with Alzheimer’s disease.
- Caregiving: The Sandwich Generation: Learn from this writer’s experience what it’s like to provide caregiving to a person through Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and coronary diseases.
- Caregivingly Yours: Sharing the trial and error learned lessons of a spouse caregiver dealing with Multiple Sclerosis and with teen autism.
- David Fireman’s Blog: Part of Legacy Connect, a network for grief support groups, expert advice on grieving, mourning and bereavement, this blog looks at those topics in detail.
- Eldercare ABC Blog: EldercareABC began as an idea based on empathy and community. This blog taps into the extended social network idea for support.
- Family CareGiver Blog: This blog is written by caregivers, for caregivers, offering fresh content, news and helpful studies to its readers.
- Hospice and Caregiving Blog: You’ll find stories and articles about the end-of-life experience at this blog.
- The Caregiver Blog…your C.A.R.E.S. Share your thoughts or questions related to caregiving for the disabled and chronically ill at this Community Advocacy for Resource, Education, and Support blog.
- The Caregiving Zone: Peggy Flynn has been a member of various caregiving teams; worked at a for-profit home care agency; been the recipient of a Jefferson Award for Community Service and given talks on illness, aging, dying and death.
- American Counseling Association Blog: ACA blogs, written by counselors for counselors on a wide variety of topics.
- BrainBlogger: This blog serves as a focal point for attracting new minds beyond the basic sciences of the mind-and-brain into the biopsychosocial model.
- Counselor Magazine Blog: This blog is for professionals who treat mental and behavioral issues encompassed by addiction.
- In the Room: This blog provides a forum for discussion of therapeutic technique, including cognitive behavioral and psychodynamic technique.
- Online Therapy Institute Blog: The Online Therapy Institute is designed for professionals who wish to enrich their knowledge about online counseling, clinical supervision and the impact of technology on mental health.
- Pacific Academy of the Healing Arts Addictions Blog: This blog is designed for professionals, and focuses on the academy’s courses and materials.
- Therapy Worksheets: Psychotherapy worksheets of all kinds–depression, anxiety, anger management, stress reduction, self-esteem, groups, individuals, couples, adults, teens, children and more.
- Where the Client Is: Build a better private practice through tips and advice offered by this blogzine for helping professionals.